I use:

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Connect: Microsoft SharedView

It seems that the shortcomings of "Request Remote Assistance" might be best alieviated by using a new colaborative tool, Microsoft SharedView.
Connect: Microsoft SharedView: "Microsoft SharedView is a fast, easy way to share documents and screen views with small groups of friends or coworkers; anytime, anywhere. Use SharedView to put your heads together and collaborate - create, convey, and communicate…across physical boundaries, through firewalls, and down to the smallest details."
It seems that RRA, when the requesting computer is Windows Vista, is not happy accepting the response from Windows XP, a cheap shot by Microsoft if you want my honest opinion. My search for a solution came across two tools: TeamViewer and SharedView (still looking for a better link).

Oh sure I could walk the people I help through installing VNC Server and opening ports if I were a complete sadist, but these tools seem more beneficial and safe. Have a look at both if you need or offer support to remote users. Free is better, both are free for non-commercial use. I don't charge for support general (it's not my day-job, it's for friends and family) so TeamView shouldn't cost me a penny, but SharedView seem to be free, period.

No comments: